As well as proposing some sensible policies (like only supporting DNSSEC the secure version of the domain name protocols) others didn't go down so well, so Nominet is re-thinking the their policies and will offer ;-
- A revised phased release mechanism based lrgely on the prior registrations of domains in existing third levels within .uk and in which contention between different applicants for the same domain name should be reduced or eliminated.
- Measures to improve security across the whole of the .uk namespace. This would include increased focus on encouraging the adoption of DNSSEC.
- A firm focus on registrant verification and some form of UK presence.
- Further investigations into the impact on the SME sector.
- An appropriate pricing model.
Which will be reviewed at the June board meeting.
If the new direct.uk system is implemented, Nominet have still committed to supporting the existing .co.uk space.